The land before development
The land one which our neighborhood was built was mostly undeveloped. The primary developer, Yeonas Land Corporation, purchased multiple sections from various owners over the course of 1960 to 1962. Other developers purchased land and grew the neighborhood on the upper-east side between 1967 and 1983 (including the east end of Plantation, Jesse Court, and Flintlock Road.)*
Originally the Mosby Woods neighborhood was split between City of Fairfax and Fairfax County.
Growth of the suburbs
Fairfax grew from a population of 1,946 in 1950 to 13,385 in 1960. This growth was part of huge post-war change in the DC suburbs with high demand for housing.*
Design, planning, and sales by Yeonas
The first section of Mosby Woods was dedicated in 1961, officially recording plans and plats. A kickoff ceremony was led by Virgil Carrington Jones, best-selling author of Ranger Mosby. The homes were marketed as modern and using the best and most comfortable technologies such as central air conditioning and heating. Six floorplans were offered for purchase from Yeonas between $25,500 and $29,990.*
Formed in 1963, the Mosby Woods Community Association’s purpose was defined as promoting the welfare of the community through concerted resident action, by lawful and honorable means. It pledged to promote recreational facilities, “cooperative activities,” and “friendly spirit” for and within the community.
The association has contributed to many neighborhood benefits over the decades. They worked to adjust County and City boundary lines to unite the community within the City and later petitioned for the construction of sound barriers along 66.
The association’s newsletter has served as the main means of communication throughout the neighborhood since its creation. It was first named the Bulletin in 1963, and renamed to The Tattler in 1964.
* All historic details are pulled with permission from Robert M. Reinsel’s Mosby Woods — A Great Place to Live.